Friday, May 7, 2010

Whiner


Today Sasha is pulling her usual stunt where she first barks and jumps on the door to let me know she needs to go out and do her business, and then a few minutes later she barks and jumps on the door because she doesn't have to do her business, but knows it will con me into taking her out.

What to do? If I take her out, then I reward her for the con job (and teach her that barking has benefits), but if I don't take her out, then she may end up going on the floor (puppy pad), which sets back her potty training. It's not terribly clear how to proceed.

Of all the training, this has been the worst of late. She's getting the house-breaking thing, and she's been pretty good at night (though she's taken to getting up at 7am of late). But she barks for my attention during the day (I work at home), and I have a really hard time telling if she has to go out, or is just playing me for the fool.

As she just went out and did both number 1 and 2, I'm ignoring the barks, and she's finally calmed down. But it would be nice to figure out a trick for breaking this cycle.

blog comments powered by Disqus