Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Delta loses dog, offers owner $200


From Dogblog:

Delta told Allen that the dog didn’t make the flight (what, was he having a ciggy in the VIP lounge?), but that he was being cared for by employees and would be there on the next flight to Detroit, and then delivered to his home in Ontario, according to ABC News. The next day, Delta told them the dog had actually escaped from from his carrier the previous day, which is why he was missing. (Understandably, Allen would like to know why he was told his dog was being cared for if his dog really wasn’t there.)

Allen doesn’t buy the story.

“I do not believe for a second that Paco escaped from his carrier,” he said. “It was a very secure hard plastic pet carrier with two locks and a metal wire door.”

“There is no excuse for this kind of situation to take place, and I expect that when you pay to have a live animal flown with you to take him home that Delta Airlines would take every precaution and action needed to make sure that is what happens,” Allen wrote to the blog Consumerist, which broke the story.
I intentionally got a smaller dog so that she could fly in the cabin with me. I house sit in France every summer, and am gone for a good 4+ weeks. That's just too long to ask friends to dog sit. So I needed a dog that was small enough for me to take home to Chicago where my family could care for her. So, small dog it is (though I really wanted a Golden). And flying in the cabin wasn't so bad. I'll post about that in the future.

blog comments powered by Disqus